Legal Administrative Assistant – Business
Legal Administrative Assistant- Portland, ME
We are currently seeking candidates for a Legal Administrative Assistant (Business group) position located in Portland, ME, with a very prestigious law firm with an outstanding reputation. The Legal Administrative Assistant will provide support to three partners, one associate, and two paralegals. Experience working as a legal administrative assistant with business law experience is required!
This role is a direct-hire opportunity with compensation up to $55K. Responsibilities:
- Proofread and edit documents for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors. Prepare all exhibits/attachments and finalize and distribute to court, clients, attorneys, and staff. Ensure deadlines are anticipated and met.
- Receive, screen, and route incoming telephone calls, conference calls, and messages to attorneys, clients, and staff promptly. Assist callers as appropriate in the absence of attorney or paralegal. Refer callers to other attorneys and respond to inquiries when necessary.
- Sort, date, stamp, and distribute incoming and outgoing mail promptly upon receipt several times a day. Open and review materials as directed.
- Ensure critical dates and deadlines are calendared.
- Transcribe and edit correspondence, documents, memoranda, and project work in the production of legal documents.
- Carry out instructions from tapes, verbal and/or handwritten materials.
- Compose routine correspondence for attorney and/or paralegal signature.
- Coordinate conferences, meetings, and appointments for the attorney, paralegal, and clients; including conference room scheduling, meals, beverages, preparation of materials, and greeting clients.
- Coordinate seminar registration and travel arrangements for securing air, hotel, and car reservations for attorneys and clients.
- Maintain calendar of meetings and business trips and critical dates and deadlines associated with court hearings and other proceedings, apprising attorney of responsibilities in advance of commitment and organizing and preparing materials needed.
- Prepare bills monthly. Edit and finalize bills to ensure the accuracy of input.
- Coordinate preliminary conflict checks through the automated system to ensure attorney and firm ability to represent the potential clients.
- Set up, organize, and maintain firm files. Read and review material to be filed, file documents in proper files, and retrieve documents and files when requested. Designate disposition of files to either form files, attorney files, or finish files as appropriate.
- Prepare, organize, finalize and coordinate mass mailings, including legal filings with municipal and state agencies, municipal, state, bankruptcy, and federal courts.
- Perform a variety of administrative functions, including processing new matter reports, preparation of expense reports, tracking CLE credits, etc.
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and interpersonal skills, including maintaining positive contact with clients, attorneys, and co-workers.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint and databases.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail to ensure the highest quality work product for the client.
- Strong multitasking skills in an often fast-paced environment.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents and correspondence from rough draft or tape at a level of 65 wpm with less than 5% errors.
- Ability to proofread and incorporate corrections to typed materials for contextual grammatical, typographical and spelling errors.
- Proficiency with office equipment, including printers, copiers, faxes, transcription machines, label makers, etc.
- Proficiency, or ability to learn electronic court filing systems.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their resume to Natalie firstname.lastname@example.org immediate consideration.