Director of Intellectual Property Counsel
Our client, an emerging biotech company developing innovative methods for solid tumor therapies through the application of gene therapy and synthetic biology, is currently seeking a Director of Intellectual Property Counsel to lead the intellectual property function within the company’s legal organization. This person will serve as the primary legal contact and source of intellectual property support for the organization and have the authority to shape the IP function for the company’s research, clinical, technical operations, and manufacturing teams. This is a special opportunity for a hungry IP lawyer excited to get in on the ground floor and really grow.
- Drive strategic intellectual property procurement and management of global intellectual property rights for individual large molecule (biopharmaceutical) candidates and products including drafting and prosecuting patent portfolios, licensing transactions, due diligence assessments, freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation strategies.
Design and deliver global intellectual portfolios from invention capture to patent issuance for individual large molecule (biopharmaceutical) candidates and products. Manage and prosecute active global dockets, including handling U.S. and foreign patent applications as well as post-grant proceedings (e.g., reexamination, reissue, post-grant review).
Champion and implement an intellectual property management system
- Work with the Head of Legal and outside legal counsel to develop and deliver company-wide intellectual property policies, procedures, education, and advice on intellectual property issues.
- Partner in all intellectual property-related transactions, adverse proceedings, and litigation activities related to individual’s program responsibilities.
- At least 7 years in a law firm and/or in-house in cell therapy advising on, drafting and prosecuting patent portfolios, conducting due diligence assessments, freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and developing risk evaluation and mitigation strategies (experience in TCR cell therapy strongly preferred).
- Technical degree in life sciences or related field (Ph.D. or M.S. strongly preferred)
- JD degree and admission to practice
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Hungry and excited to own the IP function and develop into a trusted business advisor
- Self-directed, proactive, efficient, and comfortable executing on multiple projects
- Deep understanding of patent and intellectual property law and regulations
- Knowledge of the competitive landscape across the cell therapy field
- Experience developing intellectual property management systems, supporting licensing transactions, and/or intellectual property litigation is highly desirable.
- Energy and willingness to drive all levels of the IP function, from FTO searches all the way up to Board-level development of IP strategy, is a must.
- Must be comfortable in a high-volume, high-performing, and collaborative environment
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org